Sunday, April 3, 2016

Blog Post – DESMA 9 – 4/3/16

My whole life has been a product of two cultures. My dad was born a Polish Jew and was raised in a wealthy family. My mom, on the other hand, was a Los Angeles-born Italian Catholic brought up in a middle-class family. While it’s easy to see how the two of them might not seem like the most likely pair, together they have bridged the gap between two cultures. This convergence has shaped the way I have grown and matured in a positive aspect.
            I find that aspect of my life as a prime example (on a different subject, however) of what C. P. Snow is arguing in his lecture “The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” In it, Snow argues that the gap between literary intellectuals and physical scientists is “increasingly being split into two polar groups” (TedX on CP's lecture)
and in order to better our society we should promote collaboration between the different cultures (Snow). Personally, I believe Snow couldn’t be more right. Promoting collaboration is a natural part of who I am. Fortunately for me, I believe UCLA is effectively mixing these two distinct cultures, even if they’re separated by a North and a South. 
            Even though I am only a freshman, I’ve been enrolled in a year-long general education cluster called Biotechnology and society. As the name alludes, this class bridges the gap between modern science and the corresponding sociopolitical movements, and how the two work together to better civilization. I think this convergence is extremely import for almost all fields of study because having knowledge in two distinct cultures can increase overall knowledge and reduce ignorance and stereotypes.
 -Ryan Nober



References       
"Across the Great Divide." Nature Physics 5 (2009): 309. Web. 3 Apr. 2016.
Leavis, F. R. (1962). Two cultures? the significance of C. P. snow. Melbourne Critical Review, 5, 90. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1304456024?accountid=14512
Sarah Dillon. "Literature and Science after Snow." Dr. Sarah Dillon. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.
Snow, C. P., and Stefan Collini. "The Two Cultures." The Two Cultures (n.d.): 1-21. Web.
TEDxTalks. "TEDxOxford - Marcus Du Sautoy - The Two Cultures: A False Dichotomy." YouTube. YouTube, 06 Jan. 2012. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.





            

No comments:

Post a Comment